(excerpted with permission from author Robert M. Stanley ©2011)




DC UFO REPORTS #791 - 793: December 27, 2008

Fourteen days later, a DC resident witnessed a multi-colored, "star-like" UFO move across the night sky after hovering for 10 minutes or more. That same night, another covert encounter took place in DC. Before reading the next report, please answer the following questions:

If you were taking pictures at the Potomac River and accidentally captured images of unknown lights moving just under the surface of the water, next to very expensive yachts docked in a harbor near the Pentagon, would you report it to the local authorities?

If you did report the event, how would you feel if the authorities investigated you instead of the unidentified, submerged lights documented in your photographs?

Well, that's exactly what happened to a DC resident named Wilbur Allen: a professional photographer and broadcast engineer that has worked for the DC Mayor's Office and for ABC News at the White House and U.S. Capitol. On December 27, 2008, Mr. Allen was working a freelance assignment at the Zanzibar Club located at the SW Waterfront in DC. While taking a break at 9:20 p.m., he stepped outside of the club and took a series of photographs of the yachts moored in the cold, dark water of the Potomac River.

He didn't notice anything unusual at the time, but during a rapid-fire sequence of the motor drive on his Nikon D700, he captured six high-resolution images of two unidentified lights just under the dark, shallow, river water which he was able to later animate and analyze. Upon further analysis, he realized that he had also taken a series of other photos five minutes later, in the same location, that night. Those images showed a glowing UFO slowly ascending in the night sky, near the SW harbor. It is presumed to be one of the UFOs that had been previously submerged in the Potomac River. Coming from a multi-generation military family that worked for the Pentagon, Mr. Allen decided to report the strange event, and his photos, to the DC Police. In the process, the police dispatcher connected him with the DC River Police unit.

According to Mr. Allen, "I was told by the officer on the phone that he dives in that water. He said it was not deep enough to support submersibles and that the water was incapable of registering light due to sediment and other residual elements which make it impossible to see through or project light? I was then told that I had photographed lights reflecting from the Virginia side of the river, approximately 1,500 meters away, which is impossible!" Concerned that no police action was being taken, Mr. Allen followed up by sending his report and photos to the current DC Police Chief, Cathy Lanier, (an old acquaintance of Mr. Allen).

For some reason, Chief Lanier responded by sending two mental health specialists to Mr. Allen's home to investigate him? However, Mr. Allen was initially unaware of what was really happening. He was under the impression that the people sent to interview him at his home were actually DC police detectives. That is why, when they arrived, he showed them his photos of the two unidentified submerged objects in the river. Later, the two individuals explained they were with the Department of Mental Health, and it became clear the real reason for their visit.

Shocked by the turn of events, Mr. Allen then provided the two government employees with proof that he had worked for ABC News at the White House, Air Force One and the U.S. Capitol and was not mentally disturbed. In fact, this was not the first time Mr. Allen had contacted local law enforcement regarding pictures he inadvertently took of UFOs in DC. In 2002, during the July Fourth celebration, Mr. Allen was on assignment for the city of Washington, D.C., taking night-time images of the fireworks display at the National Mall.

That night, UFOs passing over DC were accidentally captured on 35mm film by Mr. Allen. Exactly twelve nights later, it happened again in an even more dramatic display. While shooting an album cover in front of the U.S. Capitol reflecting pool on July 16, around 12:30 a.m., Mr. Allen captured a series of amazing images of UFOs over the Capitol. One brightly glowing object had landed briefly on the roof of the Capitol. Another, disk-shaped craft passed just above the Reflecting Pool. Incredible as it seems, at that time, one of the smaller, glowing objects entered the water. These events were captured on 35mm film, which was independently analyzed and found to be authentic and un-retouched.

Soon after developing the film and printing the images, Mr. Allen went to the Capitol Police and filed a report with their detective division. He provided copies of the night-time images to the officers and an investigation was conducted. Over the course of time, Mr. Allen kept in communication with the Capitol Police regarding his photographic evidence of UFOs in the DC area. They were grateful for his help and granted him the necessary permits to set up his tripod and camera equipment on Capitol grounds; day or night.

In part, that is why Mr. Allen had decided to contact the Washington, D.C., Police Department soon after taking images of UFOs in the Potomac River, near the Pentagon. He felt there was a security risk to the immediate area. However, after the mental health specialists were briefed by Mr. Allen about the validity of his photographic evidence and its national security implications, one of the specialists, a woman named Teresa Gibbs, advised him to directly contact her with any future UFO information and not to bother Chief Lanier.

This seemed extremely odd to Mr. Allen and myself. What exactly was the Department of Mental Health planning on doing with UFO data? We began wondering if everyone in DC that reported UFO activity to the police department was being visited by mental health specialists? Or, were the "specialists" only sent to interrogate people that had taken photos of unidentified objects in DC and tried to report it?

At this point, I wanted to get some lawyers involved to help get an explanation on the record, but Mr. Allen was still very upset and was unwilling to wait for an official answer. Instead, Mr. Allen sent a complaint directly to Chief Lanier's boss at that time: fomer Mayor of DC, Adrian Fenty. In part, Mr. Allen wrote, "The Chief did not follow or implement proper procedural protocols in investigating a legitimate police report. I am a multi-generation DC resident and former contractor to ABC News for the White House and Air Force One. I am an expert in my field, and a Howard University graduate.

"I am insulted and hurt that this report was taken incorrectly and lightly, regardless of the authentic, forensic documentation in high definition. I also take great offense to the fact that these two mental case workers attempted to asses my mental, physiological and intellectual abilities. What should have been a legitimate police investigation was no more than an assessment of me and not of what I photographed. It is not in my nature to commit fraud by filing fictitious reports to the police and have never done so. I reported what I saw and expertly photographed in the Potomac River.

"Chief Lanier's response to my report, without looking at the forensic data, was to send DC Mental Health workers instead of Police Officers. Is that the correct procedure? I am furious and totally insulted by Chief Lanier's actions! She needs to explain her actions and apologize for sending mental health workers to do a police investigation."

This event with Mr. Allen has major implications for law enforcement in Washington, D.C., and the civil rights of all Americans. To place his report of underwater UFOs in DC into context, I am closing this chapter with the following, related reports.

DC UFO/USO REPORT #794: September 26, 2005

A DC resident witnessed a UFO hovering directly over the Potomac River before shooting straight up and out of sight in an instant. UFOs seem to be attracted to the Potomac River and have been sighted in the water there possibly to access a covert entrance to an underground base, or to gain access to the vast underground sewer and security tunnel network for DC.

DC UFO/USO REPORT #795: November 21, 2003

Just how seriously does the U.S. military regard the issue of underwater UFOs (aka USOs)? According to a military insider, "I was just watching a TV show on USOs, and it remained me of something I know, but have never told anyone. I am not sure if I should report this, but somehow it seems like the right thing to do. I was called back to active duty for the Iraq war. I was working in Washington, D.C., in a very secure room. I had two computers; one to use like everyone else does and another secret computer. One day in 2003, around 4:00 p.m., someone told us to go to a page on the secret computer and see what was going on. It was a report of an event that was going on right then. I am not sure, but I think the aircraft involved was a C-141 or some kind of military cargo plane. The aircraft was off the cost of Florida when the pilots reported seeing a UFO come up out of the water and fly off.

"For a few minutes, they were tracking it, and it was flying at about 60,000 feet and was traveling at a speed of around 4,000 miles-per-hour. We scrambled F-16's jets from Chicago to be in front of it, but somewhere near South Bend, Indiana it just went off the radar. That was the end of that, and I didn't think anything more about it that day. But the next day, we had some people come into out area and clean the information about what had happened off all the computers that had been used in our area.

"Where I work, we had access to everything that was going on in the war and gave briefings to the White House, and no one had ever cleaned any information off our computers before or after that. We had access to almost anything we wanted. I have signed a non-disclosure form, and it is good for 75 years, so I can't afford for anyone to know who I really am. Thank you."443

DC UFO/USO REPORT #796: 1965 or 1966

According to a witness, "I had a UFO sighting on the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. At that time, I observed a red orb of light traveling up the Potomac River at a fantastic speed. This orb looked about like an LED light and seemed quite small. It skimmed just above the surface of the water."

DC UFO/USO REPORT #797: 1966

Around 11:00 p.m., another UFO was sighted over the Potomac River near the White House. According to one of the witnesses, "My wife and I were on the GW parkway which runs along the Potomac River when I looked over and noticed a strange-orange light moving in the same direction at about the same speed as I was; about 40 miles-per-hour. I drove beside it for about a mile before I decided to speed up to get ahead of it, so I could pull off at an overlook a couple of miles with at least a 100 foot higher elevation.

"As I pulled over and jumped out, I yelled to my wife to get out and see, but she wanted nothing to do with it. By this time, the UFO had caught up to our position. I was at the same elevation as the UFO. It looked like it was over the middle of the river. It did not look like a solid object. It was just a dull glow of light that was about five to eight feet in diameter. It continued up the river until it was out of sight.

"I looked for information about it in the newspaper. I don't recall which newspaper it was, but at that time there were three papers in Washington, D.C. The Post, The Star and The News. The story said that there had been reports from both sides of the Potomac River of an orange light being sighted. The report stated that the FAA had claimed it was just testing a new 'navigation' light.

"I found that very hard to believe. I had just spent three years in the Army working on helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft. At that time, there was only one fixed-wing airplane that could fly at 40 miles-per-hour and it was made by the Rockwell Co. in Rockville, Maryland, 12 miles up the river, and it had a 500 horsepower, unmuffled engine that can be heard for 10 miles away. Rotary winged aircraft can be heard for three to five miles over the river. The "navigation" light made no noise. Apparently, the FAA was testing a light on a silent craft, the likes of which is not known to this day."444

To read more about this sensitive subject please click on the cover of either book below:



| e-mail | home |

UNICUS is not affiliated with any religious,

philosophical or political organizations.

© Copyright 2011 UNICUS magazine